Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Kicking it off with an old Burgundy white




Meursault 1er cru - Les Genevrieres, Henri Boillot 2003:  $79.50 CHF 

Now this is a premier cru from a producer and village that are characteristic of the Burgundy style chardonnay. On the nose I found a bit of oak, quite a bit of butter and the typical hazelnut smell of the chardonnays of this region. The wines aged just about as long as it should be and I think I may have just opened this one in the nick of time. The taste is quite like what you would expect from the nose a very buttery smooth syrup mixed with those hazelnuts and a little terroir in the form of wet stones maybe? Although I cant quite communicate the subtlety exactly, I can really taste the terroir in this wine as if I had just pulled off the road in my polo and given the topsoil a good lick. Wines made under the domaine name come from a small holding of 14 hectares across several locations. Being a big name in Burgundy Boillot undoubtubly practices lots of prunning and late harvesting often ending up with very small yields as only the best will do! I can honestly say this wine has had a great impression on me as I tended to shy away from whites in the past, they just never seemed as contemplative as reds but oh man this one sure stands on its own!



sated.......

No comments:

Post a Comment